A kitchen renovation is often a homeowner’s once-in-a-lifetime project, so it’s got to be as perfect as humanly possible. As with any home renovation project, hiring an unlicensed or disreputable contractor can be both a financial and emotional disaster. It’s crucial that you find a trustworthy, experienced professional who is honest and will get the job done on time.
According to Consumer Reports, the top homeowner remodeling complaints are cost overruns, shoddy or rushed work, poor communication, and contractors who don’t show up when they say they will.
Here’s a quick checklist of basic steps to follow to find the best professional for the job.
- Make a list of reputable contractors listed on sites such as Angie’s List, Houzz or HomeAdvisor
- Check the contractors’ reviews and ratings from previous projects. Make sure they are fully licensed and insured.
- Provide each possible contractor with as much detailed project information as you can
- Interview candidates, and ask as many questions as you can about pricing, experience, and project timeline.
- Request bids, check references, and then make your final decision.
Check out this article for a much more detailed analysis.
Once the project is in full swing, keep an eye on progress but don’t hover or engage the crew in long conversations. If issues or concerns arise, be friendly but firm. You and your contractor should be able to work together to address any problems that may arise during your kitchen remodel. If you’ve taken the time to prepare for this project with due diligence, you’ll soon be enjoying your shiny, efficient, stylish new kitchen.