Makeup by Mario Golden Soft Glow HighlighterMakeup by Mario Golden Soft Glow Highlighter ($28.00 for 0.16 oz.) is a light-medium, peachy gold with strong, warm undertones and a metallic sheen with faint sparkle throughout. The texture felt lightly emollient to the touch–very smooth, more firmly-pressed into the pan (so no powderiness), and dense–but never stiff, so I had no trouble picking up product with a typical, tapered highlighting brush.
It had medium, buildable pigmentation that applied evenly to bare skin and blended out with little effort. The powder “melted” slightly on my skin after a few minutes of wear, which gave it a smoother, higher-shine effect without emphasizing my skin’s natural texture. This shade lasted well for eight hours before fading noticeably.
for details on general performance and characteristics (like scent).
- ColourPop The Real Thing (LE, $8.00) is more shimmery, darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Melt Cosmetics Stargazer (P, $39.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- ColourPop Boujee Call (P, $8.00) is warmer (90% similar).
- Hourglass Champagne Flash (P, $42.00) is darker, warmer (90% similar).
- MAC There She Glows (LE, $37.00) is more shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- Chanel Ivory Gold (10) (P, $58.00) is more shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- NARS Crique (LE, ) is more shimmery, darker, warmer (90% similar).
- OFRA SoHo (LE, $29.00) is more shimmery, warmer (90% similar).
- Clinique Gold Celebration Pop (LE, $25.00) is darker, warmer (90% similar).
- Wet ‘n’ Wild Guilded Glow (P, $5.99) is darker, warmer (90% similar).
$28.00/0.16 oz. – $175.00 Per Ounce
The formula is supposed to highlight while “smooth[ing] the appearance of your skin” with an “ultra-silky” texture that “blends effortlessly.” The collection this formula launched in was touted as having all buildable formulas, though I’d say that the highlighter formula was more semi-opaque to opaque for the most part.
It was easy to use a lighter hand as the texture was denser and firmer (without being stiff), so there were no issues controlling how much product was picked up. The product felt incredibly smooth and almost cream-like–as if it were emollient to the touch–which helped the highlighter “melt” onto skin after five minutes or so.
Some shades were smoother and more luminous than others; a few yielded a more intense glow that seemed just shy of emphasizing my skin’s natural texture. They all applied evenly and blended out with very little effort. Most of the shades wore well for eight hours on me.
Browse all of our Makeup by Mario Soft Glow Highlighter swatches.
Talc, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Isostearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Tin Oxide, Chlorphenesin, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol May Contain/Peut Contenir (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Manganese Violet (Ci 77742).
Disclaimer: Ingredient lists are as available by the brand (or retailer)
at the time of publishing. Please always check product packaging, if it exists, for the ingredient list applicable
to the product you’re purchasing, or the brand or retailer’s website for the most up-to-date ingredient list.